DAW Control for Windows

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration DAW Control for Windows

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DavidCo DavidCo 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dinodrew
    dinodrew
    Participant

A&H Tech People,
    I am looking to purchase a QU-24, but after digging through the support pages and this forum I see that you’ve only published DAW Control for OSX.

Are you working on a DAW Control for Windows 7/8? I believe that you are leaving many potential sales on the table by not supporting Windows-based users.

**I am not looking to start a Mac vs. PC fight** they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I hope that you reply with a yes or no. If yes, I will order today. If no I would like to find an alternative solution.

Thank you,
    dino(saur jr)drew

dinodrew
    Participant

I’m still digging and found several posts where users are manually configuring MIDI in Windows to activate some kind of DAW control. Is there a template or guide for Cubase 7/8 ?

thank you A&H Community.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

“DAW Control” is (IMO) an ambiguously named program developed by A&H that takes Midi messages sent by the console over USB and translates them to Mackie Control/HUI protocol (and takes the Mackie Control/HUI commands sent from the DAW and translates them back to Midi.) This allows the Qu to control/be controlled by DAWs that use Mackie Control/HUI instead of Midi. The caveat is that this “DAW Control” (Midi translation) program is only available on OSX, not Windows.

Bottom line:

Bi-directional multitrack audio streaming over USB: Windows and OSX

“Controlling a DAW” via Midi over USB: Windows and OSX

“Controlling a DAW” that can’t use midi but can use Mackie Control/HUI: OSX only via the “DAW Control” program. However if the DAW is running on Windows it can still stream audio to/from the Qu, you just can’t use the Qu’s faders/buttons to control the DAW, you have to use your kb+m.

AFAIK, Cubase uses midi, so if installed on Windows or OSX it can be controlled by/can control the Qu (provided long as the Qu is running a recent firmware version and you set it up correctly.)

HTH

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

I am evaluating digital mixers and inquired about Windows PC support for the QU series by A&H. I was told by a sales agent that A&H has no plans to support a Windows interface for control of the console. He referred to this as a “gadget” feature. This has caused me to give more serious consideration to other companies.

dinodrew
    Participant

thank you cornelius78 – i looked into the midi map of Mackie control and how to implement with the QU. it seems daunting, even for a “computer nerd” like me.

DoctorG – thank you as well. I am struggling with the same decision. I do not want a Presonus. I am looking at my second Firestudio right now – it just can’t handle more than 4 tracks well. The pops and dropouts are frustrating. I have a PC I built with the latest hardware – specifically tuned for DAW.

The A&H seems to fit the bill the best.
    Or my other option would be an RME interface and deal with M+k – and not have a live-recording solution.

Anyone else have anything to add?
    Thank you all.

Profile photo of DavidCo
    DavidCo
    Participant

Bome MIDI translator might be useful here 🙂

DC

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.