Date and Time

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Date and Time

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of [XAP]Bob [XAP]Bob 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I commented on this thread that I don’t actually have any idea what the timestamps are on the QU

I have noticed that this morning I did a set of multitrack recordings, and they are all set to midnight on the 1st Jan 1980, even the ones which were recorded several hours after the desk was switched on.

That leads me to believe that there is *no* internal clock on the QU – can anyone confirm that?

Personally I’d like the timestamps on files to mean something, and can see various ways to get time onto the system at startup (assuming there is no battery backed RTC internally) – but if the custom OS has no concept of times, then…

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

There is no RTC. Or OS.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Apologies in advance if the below reads in a disjointed fashion – I’ve ended up with far too much copy and paste to rearrange the order of things…

There is an OS of some sort. IIRC @nicola has confirmed that it is ground up built by A&H…
    It might be custom, it will almost certainly be an RTOS,,,

Qu runs embedded software written in-house by our R&D team in Cornwall, UK.
    It is not based on any third party operating system.

At the moment all the files from QuDrive end up with the same name, in the same directory (since I clean and reformat regularly, as recommended) and with the same timestamp. That’s a pretty good combination to ensure data loss IMHO.

To be honest there are various things I’d like to change about the QU handling of QUDrive. Don’t get me wrong – it’s absolutely brilliant, but there alternatives to the timestamp which would do the same/better job….

I’d like to be able to name sessions and tracks (e.g. …/BobWedding/QU01.Bass.wav). (Tracks could even take their name from the channel name, and give their name to the channel when played back?)
    I’d like to be able to do seamless splits (maybe in one session we could have QU01.01.Bass.wav, then QU01.02.Bass.wav would take over without a dropped sample when a softkey was hit – allowing songs to be split, at the moment the reloading of the last recorded session and subsequent re-arm takes far too long).

I’d like to be able to record fewer than 18 channels, and play back fewer than 18 channels.
    I’d also like to be able to control QuDrive from the QuPad.

Don’t get me wrong – QuDrive is absolutely brilliant, but there is always margin for improvement, and as a software engineer by trade (OK, an ex software engineer, although I still get dragged back) the above don’t *feel* like huge changes – although this is a custom embedded system, so all bets are off as to the actual complexity 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.