Dante with more that 64 inputs

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Dante with more that 64 inputs

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bolupona bolupona 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mharper
    mharper
    Participant

Working with a Church Client, on upgrading to a dLive system. They currently run 2 separate iLive 80 surfaces one for FOH with and IDR10 and the other for Recording with an IDR0. They want to be able to do multi tracking and I was thinking that Dante would be the easiest option for that. Is it possible to do Dante with more than 64 inputs, maybe 2 Dante Cards? They Don’t need more than 64 right now but they are currently running 60 inputs, and we would like for them to have room to expand.

Thanks
    Mike Harper
    Output unlimited

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

Yes, you can fit 2x M-Dante cards to a dLive system to get 128 channels over Dante. Remember the Dante Virtual Soundcard is limited to 64 channels, so you would need two computers for recording beyond 64 tracks, or you can invest in the Focusrite PCI Dante card which does 128.

Profile photo of mharper
    mharper
    Participant

Awesome, That should work out perfect.

Thanks
    Mike Harper
    Output Unlimited

Profile photo of mharper
    mharper
    Participant

Thinking about this more. Would I run the from each Dante card to a switch, then connect the multi-tracking PC to the switch? How would the combining of the 2 cards work on the network to give 128×128?

Thanks
    Mike Harper
    Output Unlimited

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

The M-Dante card can be set to switched mode, where the two ports (Primary and Secondary) are switched ports on the same network. So you can connect the two cards together using their built-in switch, e.g. Secondary to Secondary, and one of the Primary ports goes to your Dante PCI-equipped computer.

Profile photo of bolupona
    bolupona
    Participant

Look into the Waves3 card. https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/waves3/
    It’s the same point as the Dante card, 128 inputs, connect via Cat5 or 6. Easy set-up and you can record either at 48kHz or 96kHz.

Great card.

Profile photo of mharper
    mharper
    Participant

I thought about the Waves card, but was told by our rep that the Waves card was for plug ins only? I didn’t think that was right. Does Waves require any other special hardware/software other than the DAW.

Another thing, which would be more universal for this set up Waves or Dante? I was thinking Dante would be more universal, and easier for someone else to patch into if needed. The church has had some recording companies use their space in the past, which they had to use an Analog split at the time. I would like to provide the most universal option for a Recording company to come in with their equipment to get up and running.

Thanks
    Mike Harper
    Output Unlimited

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

You can use the Waves card to record straight into a DAW via Cat5, as you would do with Dante. As bolupona says above, the difference is you get 128 channels at 96kHz with a single card.
    Dante is typically a better choice for interconnecting with third party equipment, but for pure recording purposes, I would go with Waves.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

Btw, are there any dedicated HW Waves recorders in the market such as Tascam or JoeCo for Dante?

ddff

Profile photo of bolupona
    bolupona
    Participant

In terms of anything additional, you’ll need to create a Waves account, download Soundgrid Studio. Set-up was a breeze for me. I initially had the Dante card but switched out with the Waves3 card, purely for more channel counts, if and when I do need it. If you’re sticking to 64 inputs or less, with the Waves3 card, Soundgrid DSP server, multirack soundgrid software, and any DAW you could literally run your plugins on one computer and record on another.

That was also another reason I got the card. I’m personally on big on using plug ins while mixing live, which is why I love the D-Live coz everything I’ll need, it’s literally got it. But I got the waves3 card for that option that someone does rent the church and they wanted to run their plugins in conjunction with the console.

Hope this helps!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.