Dante with Level Settings

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Dante with Level Settings

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of thegtrsr1 thegtrsr1 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of thegtrsr1
    thegtrsr1
    Participant

Hi All,

I have a GLD-112 with a Dante card going to a computer with Waves Tracks Live for recording (because it’s free and records unlimited inputs). Dante outputs are setup via the 48 inputs direct outs.

I’ve made my first live recording with my Dante card but soon realized the way I had it set up meant I was going to have to mix everything all over again on the computer. Is there any way to record getting all the channels plus levels of each channel? I’m not terribly concerned about having EQ and effects along with it although that would be nice too.

I’m assuming this is a setting or configuration on the GLD board. Thank you all for your help!

Profile photo of I am
    I am
    Participant

At that point just use the USB drive and record a live two track.

thegtrsr1
    Participant

Well that would be okay, but I want to record all 48 inputs and be able to re-mix it after the show.

Profile photo of I am
    I am
    Participant

Well I’m confused. You said in your initial post that you did not want to do that that you wanted the levels to already be set properly that would entail being mixed. I’m out.

thegtrsr1
    Participant

Sorry for the confusion, let me try to explain again. Basically what I’m looking for is to record every channel so I can go back and make tweaks to the mix later on without having to start from scratch. With my present configuration (recording direct outs) I am able to record the channels but they are essentially all at unity so the mix is not correct when you play the song back.

I’m curious if there is a way to record the 48 channels plus the levels they were at during the song. So lead vocal at unity, drums at -3db, guitar at -2.5db, etc. I may be expecting too much from the Dante or I assume I’m missing a piece that could carry that data along to the recorder as well, I just need to know what that missing piece is.

Thank you for your help!

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Foirst of all you can send the Input direct outs to the Dante outputs. On the I/O Page go to IP Port out and assign “Input direct out” 1 to 48. Once you have done this go to the Channel processing of one input channel and go there to the routing tab and switch to “Direct Out”. Here you can define the output level for each channel. You can see this as an output trim. There is also a pull-up window name “DIR OUT SRC” on the bottom of the screen. Open this window and set the global output source (tap point). There are also two switch buttons “Follow Fader” (pre/post fader setting) and “Follow Mute” (pre/post mute setting). If you switch “Follow Fader” on you will record each channel with the used lelive level of the channel.

But I prefer to use “Post PreAmp” and pre fader and pre mute for recording. Because using live levels would bring all the time unexpected results. Far more difficult ist using post mute. because if you accidently forget to unmute a channle you also do not have it recorded.

HTH

thegtrsr1
    Participant

Thank you for the reply.

So that sounds like it’s closer to what I was looking for. Let me rephrase to make sure I understand. So if you put those settings on post (fader, mute, etc.) it literally changes the volume of what is being output rather than just sending a variable to the computer that tells it what is, correct? So if I mute it (like you said) it will not be sent at all and if I have the fader all the way down I will get no volume out. Do I understand that correctly?

Rather, I’m looking for a way to still output a good level at unity to the recording yet also send information about the current fader level so the software will know what the level was and set it (and ideally that it was muted and bring the level all the way down to -infiniti). This way the mix would be the same but I would also be able to change it after the show. Am I asking too much?

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

So if I mute it (like you said) it will not be sent at all and if I have the fader all the way down I will get no volume out. Do I understand that correctly?

Yes, you got it.

Am I asking too much?

I’m afraid that you want more than the possible. I can theoretically see a way using the GLD remote protocoll and convert it to a DAW control protocoll (like MCU) but that’s not so easy and the one who will do this must have deep knowledge of the GLD protocoll.
    So, at the moment it is not possible.

I use live recordings for mainly three tasks:
    – double check my live performance as sound engineer. I play back the recording and route it to my GLD inputs to replace the analog ins I used during the concert. So I can see/hear what I have done during the show.
    – virtual soundcheck. Again route the tracks as inputs for the mixer and do the soundcheck.
    – mixdown of the live recording. Here I start from the scratch in the DAW and do the whole mixdown within the DAW.

for all those tasks I prefer the original audio source direct post headamp.

thegtrsr1
    Participant

Thank you very much. You have been very helpful. I was afraid I was asking a bit too much, but at least I know the limitations now and can be prepared for them next time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.