Dante Card Routing with ME-U

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Dante Card Routing with ME-U

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Zach
    Zach
    Participant

Hi everyone,

We recently purchased a Dante card for our iLive system, the setup is as follows –

One IDR-32 rack, with the ACE card installed in Slot B. The Main ACE output goes to the T112 surface. The ACE card outputs (CAT5) to a xDR-16 expansion unit, and the other output goes to the ME-U.

We installed the Dante card into the Slot-B of the xDR expansion unit.

Our issue is that we can only assign channels 1-20 into ProTools. We think it might be because channels 21-61 are being used for the ME-U.

Is there a way to separate the Dante channels from the ME-U channels, so that we can assign all available Dante channels into ProTools separately?

Thanks!

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Zach,

The bottleneck is the Port B ACE card in the iDR-32. This is a 64×64 interface, and the outputs are duplicated on both Link 1 and 2. So the same 64 outputs you are sending to Dante (via the xDR-16) are also going to the ME-U. The ME-U will then ‘extract’ 21-60 for ME-1 use (when fitted with the default ME-D card).

I assume the problem is you want to send post-processing Direct Outs to ME-1 and MixRack Inputs (pre-trim) to Dante? If you are using up to 32 Inputs this shouldn’t be a problem – patch to Port B 1-20 and 53-64 for recording and 21-52 for personal monitoring. Otherwise I’m afraid you’ll have to make some choices.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of Zach
    Zach
    Participant

Nicola thanks so much for the quick response.

Is there anyway around this problem? Even if I had to purchase additional equipment? Or perhaps there is a different setup configuration I could try?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

No I’m afraid, the short answer is a single iLive system is not designed to handle more than 64 outputs on Port B, you basically want to send out 64 + 40.

You could get a second iDR and ACE card for mixing monitors and feeding to ME-1:

– T-112 + iDR-32 + xDR-16 + Dante, up to 64 ‘dry’ MixRack Inputs sent to Pro Tools (via Dante) for recording and to system B
    – iDR-16 + Dante receives up to 64 ch from system A, applies independent digital trim and processing and sends out Direct Outs to ME-U

You could control the iDR-16 from an iPad or laptop of course.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.