Crackling in one channel output

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Crackling in one channel output

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MightyPuff MightyPuff 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

I have been expereinceing a crackling sound in the t=right channel of my Qu-16, which sounds like a bad tweeter breaking up, that happens at peak levels only. My main meters are top redlighting, and the left channel syas clean. I switched out the right speaker, thinking it was the problem, but go thesamething with a different one (make and modelnot important here).

Has anyone experienced this with their Qu, and might it need service? I need to so some more testing, but it is odd andbotherasom,e as sometimes I need the levels up to cover alarge outdoor yard or hall…

<L>

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

You admit to “redlighting” the mixer but complain about distortion!
    You need to look at the gain structure of the rest of your system.
    What’s the rest of your system, speakers, amps, processing.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Oh damn, Typo! NOT red-lighting, it is crackling at only plus 1 or 2 yellow LEDS). NOT overdriving it, which is why it is weird. Sorry for the ypor(typo)! I should have proofread it. I wish I could edit to correct the several typos!

And the left channel does not make that sound.

QSC K12, EV ELX 112P, and ZLX-112P all show it the same, and I’m running subs off aux 9.

I have tested the speakers on another system and they go way loud with no crackling. Next I’m going to run yesterday’s show at the same levels with various speakers…

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I would testdrive another set of cables (both power and signal) as a next step.

Good luck !

Giga

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Check meters throughout the signal path.
    Send a single time through the output and listen at various levels, passit back into an input and record it on the QuDrive to visualise errors…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Have you tried swapping left for right at mixer to see how the problem moves.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Do what Mike says. You will know within a couple of seconds whether the problem is before or after the mixer outputs.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

It stays on the right main output. But people, I was NOT asking how to figure it out or what steps to take, I was asking if anyone else has experienced an output problem in only one makn output channel.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

OK – But you said:
    Next I’m going to run yesterday’s show at the same levels with various speakers
    so it seemed you’d not yet figured out if speakers (or their cables etc) were the cause of problem.

To answer your question though, no, I’ve never had any problem with the outputs on either of my QUs.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

We just want you to be sure the source of the problem has been isolated.

At an install I know of a QU32 that has low output on left channel of mix 5-6.
    That mixer is in a church that took a major lighting hit that took out a lot of other equipment in the building and wonded the mixer.

Profile photo of MightyPuff
    MightyPuff
    Participant

Did you solve this problem? I have the same problem.
    The crackling sound is on the right side… speaker and also in my headphone.. so this means it’s not an external problem…

Another problem is that there’s no outgoing signal on my main output… at my birthday party I had to go on the monitor output to save the evening :-/

Can anyone help me?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.