Can't create post in other forums and don't know how to reach administrators

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Can't create post in other forums and don't know how to reach administrators

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris93 Chris93 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Participant

Hi, I have an account on this forum and own a GLD-80, QU-16, and QU-PAC. I am having an issue transferring scenes from QU-16 to QU-PAC and would like to post on that forum. My issue is that when I browse over to the QU forum, it asks me to log in. Great. I log in and it takes me out of the QU forum and if I browse to GLD forum I can post and comment on messages but if I return to QU forum I have to renter my user and password which keeps taking me back here. Is there a forum administrator that can comment on this or fix this for me. Other than that my GLD80 seems to be working pretty good with new firmware. The iPad app still sucks in responsiveness though. I just used the GLD80 at a festival for 11 days and it worked well but a couple of the bands brought their own engineer who preferred to walk around and mix on iPad which is fine with me but he complained about how crappy the app was and that I should get an X32 and if I was judging based on the app alone, I’d have to agree with him. I don’t get why every other mixer company have faders that actually respond when you touch them but not Allen & Heath. Also if the app was similar to the QU app at least when you have to tap a fader several times to get it to move, you wouldn’t end up in mix mode. There, I at least have a GLD related portion to this topic. Oh yeah, why am I able to adjust effects parameters on my QU mixer through the app and not on my GLD? I know many of you don’t use the app and aren’t too concerned about my issues. I on the other hand am a small sound company and have to mix monitors from FOH. The ability to go on stage and mix monitors with the app is huge and to walk around the venue and mix is important too. I’m often mixing at functions where putting a mixer in the “correct” location is not an option.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Participant

Funny. Right after I submitted this post, when I browsed to QU forum I was still logged in and was able to post something. That is weird. I hope I don’t always have to post in this forum first to be able to post in QU forum.

Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

I agree that the ipad app can be tricky, but it is all down to how you approach the faders in my experience. If you touch and hold, then the center lights up and you can adjust the fader (without changing the selection). If you tap quickly, the channel is selected (without moving the fader). And of course if you double tap, then mix is selection.

The main problem is that the distinction between tap and tap and hold is very subtle, and it is easy to do one when you want the other. And of course if you get frustrated and try again too quickly it becomes a double tab and selects mix.

Even knowing this, I frequently get it wrong. I guess the problem is that the tap has to be very quick to do a select. if the tap and hold dwell time were made longer, then it would take longer to grab a fader and so it would become much less responsive. I don’t know if this timing is a function of the app, or is a general feature of the ipad, and I don’t know if it can be changed.

But the key thing is that to do a select you need to do a VERY quick tap, and avoid the part to the right of the ON button, which doesn’t seem to be responsive.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Participant

Not a problem with iPad as apps for other mixers are much more responsive. I understand the idea with tap and hold but it only seems to turn yellow about 50 – 60% of the time. The other complaint I had with the guest engineer was the ON button. He kept accidentally hitting that and turning the channel off. The location of the ON button is really easy to accidentally hit when trying to pan. I don’t understand why it even exists with a MUTE button. Seems to me that MUTE button would be enough.

Profile photo of dcongdon
    dcongdon
    Participant

Hi Eric,

I have had similar issues logging in to the forum on a mobile device. I find that when I login while browsing a particular forum, I have to refresh my mobile browser before my login status is updated. Hope that is helpful.

Regarding the GLD app, I am in the same camp. I can rationalize the app’s design, but feel that the current build is not working in the field. I measure the utility of the app by how easily a guest engineer can access the basic features. Unfortunately, the GLD remote app struggles the most with the basic features (accessing channels, changing levels, etc.).

We have x32/m32s and GLDs in our inventory and I have occasionally worked with Mackie DL mixers, so I feel I can compare these products pretty accurately. Overall, I find that apps that have swiping/scrolling navigation the hardest to use. The GLD and the DL both use swiping navigation (GLD for faders, DL for faders & Processing), which occasionally results in hitting buttons accidentally. The GLD remote anticipates this issue by requiring the operator to select and hold a fader. But in the field, this creates confusion. How long do I hold the fader before I can adjust the level? What if I let go too quickly and tap again? Will I be in Mix mode? What does it mean when I tap a channel and nothing happens? Where should I tap?

When you have a problem to solve (e.g. feedback), the last thing you want to question is your ability to move a fader. If I lack confidence to do such a basic task, I ditch the tool and find a better solution. Thankfully, the GLD surface and GUI are stellar and the sound quality is very nice. These strengths make the GLD a popular console in the field. It would be nice if the app was as user-friendly.

In comparison, the X32 bypasses this swiping/scrolling issue by organizing faders in static blocks of 8–both on the surface and the app. This format is crippling on the surface (IMHO) but fantastic for mobile mixing.

I don’t know if it is possible, but as an end-user I think a blend of a flexible surface (GLD GUI) and a tabbed/blocked app is the best approach. 4 blocks of 12 faders would work well, I think.

Finally, I would re-organize the buttons on each channel. First, I would add a Mix button and do away with the double-tap. Then I would place the mix/pfl/on/pan controls in a processing page for all input channels. They are lower priority to the most basic, mobile mixing tasks. I would only keep the fader and mute button available on all channels. For output channels, I would keep the Mix button available. Lastly, I think a meter bridge, I/O page, FX, and Setup menu would make the app a must-have in the field.

As always, thank you, A&H, for improving the quality of your products and listening to your end-users.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Participant

I agree. I hope Allen & Heath is working on updating the GLD ap.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

Buy an older touch screen PC on eBay and all these problems are solved. I got an X201T for less than what an iPad costs, and it can run Soundweb Designer, Systune etc. and has an actual keyboard to type on.

Chris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.