Can AR2412 be left powered on?

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD general discussions Can AR2412 be left powered on?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of theLoksta
    theLoksta
    Participant

Just reading the User Guide (v1.4), page 17 – “To turn off the system” section:

Touch the Power Down button. A popup appears. Confirm the action then turn the mixer and racks off using their power switches.

We are looking at having a GLD system installed at our church, made up of a GLD-80 paired with an AR2412.
    However, the audiorack will have to be installed under our stage, with limited physical access – i.e. trapdoor in stage, but room underneath would be cramped if needing to go in every week.

I’m just wanting to confirm that the “Power Down” process is mainly for shutting down the internal computer within the console correctly so that any information can be saved properly and there is no issue with leaving the AR2412 powered on?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I have done similar installations where I have used a remote relay to turn devices on/off. Depending on your location they are available from companies like Lowell, Furman and others. Just plug the unit into power outlet and the 2412 into it. Run a one pair cable to it. Turn on from remote location with switch or sequencer.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant
    Profile photo of MikeShand
    MikeShand
    Participant

I’m just wanting to confirm that the “Power Down” process is mainly for shutting down the internal computer within the console correctly so that any information can be saved properly and there is no issue with leaving the AR2412 powered on?

In case you are concerned (I was) it is not absolutely essential to use the power down button. If you simply cut the power no harm is done, the only difference is that when you reapply the power you will see a message to the effect that it wasn’t shut down properly. This displays for a few seconds, and then the start up continues without any user intervention.

So it is possible to have the system switched on and off simply by switching the power (in our case to both gld and 2412). This is useful for “simple” services.

I think the only downside of not using the power down button is that there is a danger that any changes you made to the surface just prior to the power down would not be saved. But of course in the above scenario, this doesn’t arise. So we recommend that the desk is powered down properly, but don’t worry if it isn’t.

We use a sequencer to delay the power amp switch on until after the desk, but I should warn you that there is a delay of a few 10s of seconds between powering up the desk and the desk being fully operational. Unfortunately, one of the last things that happens is phantom power is applied to the inputs. If you have left a fader up you will get a bang through the speakers if the power amps have already been turned on.

We are hoping for a resolution of this from A&H, but nothing yet. There’s a thread about this over on the QU forum ( it appears it HAS been fixed on the QU).

Hope this helps.

Mike

Profile photo of tylermartin86
    tylermartin86
    Participant

The church I do sound for has exactly what GCumbee linked to. I have the board switchable, but that is it. I make sure any volunteers who use the board know how to properly turn off the board (using many friendly reminders). You will hear a small click inside the board which I assume isolates the outputs so there is no loud pop if the system gets shut off in the incorrect order somehow. I have nothing switching the AR2412 and AR84. When I see them while the system is off, there are no lights aside from the power LED on the back. Don’t quote me on this, but I also feel like the fans shut off. I haven’t been next to the racks while the system is off in a while. We have never had an issue with phantom power pops with this setup. While I will agree with MikeShand that it is not absolutely essential to use the power down button, I would highly recommend it. That is just like shutting down a computer, and you wouldn’t just unplug a computer while it is on.

MikeShand
    Participant

Shutting down doesn’t affect the sound at all. The system will still continue to pass sound. All it means is the computer is shut down so you can’t change anything. So, for example, if you shut it down with a fader up on a phantom powered mic, then go and unplug the mic. BANG! Been there. Done that 🙁

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

@mikeshand
    That’s not true with a GLD or Qu! Due the processing is in the console – there can’t be any more sound passing after you switch either the Rack or the console off!
    On an iLive is it different! There’s the processing all done in the rack – so turning off the console does only mean to turn off the “remote control”! Sound keeps passing!

Profile photo of tylermartin86
    tylermartin86
    Participant

That’s what I was just about to say eotsskleet. So MikeShand, if you could explain the setup when this happened, that would be great.

If you just touch shutdown, it won’t completely stop the sound passing through. If you confirm the shutdown and not switch off the console, if I remember correctly, you should hear a small click where the outputs turn off. I can confirm this when I am in front of the GLD again. It may be different if the outputs are on the stage box, but nothing should (in theory) output.

MikeShand
    Participant

Of course, if you switch the physical power off to the GLD no sound flows! But if you simply press the “power down” soft button (and confirm it), the screen says “its now safe to power down your GLD” or words to that effect, and the surface goes dead, but sound will continue to flow until you physically remove power. i.e. the power down button only shuts down the computer, but all the sound I/O circuits and DSP are still running with the same configuration and settings until to you physically remove power.

I can’t be absolutely sure that the local I/O keeps running, but the ones on an AR2412 certainly do. And of course those stop if you remove power to the GDL leaving it on to the AR2412.

Profile photo of jcarter
    jcarter
    Participant

There’s a cooling fan in the AR2412 which I have to imagine would suck a lot of dirt into the unit if it were left running 24/7, especially under a stage.

Profile photo of theLoksta
    theLoksta
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your responses.
    I have come to the conclusion that I should look into some sort of remote relay or sequencer to allow the AR2412 to be powered on and off as required.

In relation to the “Power Down” button on the Home Page, I have found more detail which helps my understanding in the GLD Touch Screen Reference document (v1.4) on page 4:

To safely Power Down the GLD system
    Touch the Power Down button, confirm, and then switch power off. Failure to power down correctly may result in parameter changes made up to 30 seconds before power is removed becoming lost.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

In case you are concerned (I was) it is not absolutely essential to use the power down button. If you simply cut the power no harm is done, the only difference is that when you reapply the power you will see a message to the effect that it wasn’t shut down properly.

We recommend to always power down the GLD system with the Power Down button on screen. Switching off the mains whilst GLD is writing to memory may result in possible data corruption.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.