Bouncing or streaming a multitrack project?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Bouncing or streaming a multitrack project?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wil Riker Wil Riker 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wil Riker
    Wil Riker
    Participant

Hello everyone,

a few days ago I recorded my first multitrack project (by the way on a SanDisk Cruzer Force 64GB – see my former threads). Is there any simple possibility to bounce or stream the project’s master including all channel settings (EQ, dynamics, fader settings) to burn it on CD?

Thanks and greets,

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If you did the default QuDrive recording (which it sounds like) then tracks 17/18 are the L&R ouptput from the desk.

Those just need resampling to 44.1kHz and 16 bit from the current 48kHz/24 bit.

Note that you might want to normalise before dropping the bit depth, just to ensure that you aren’t using all those uppoer bits to encode the 18dB headroom on the QU.

Wil Riker
    Participant

Hello Bob,

yes, the default Qu-Drive multitrack recording (sorry, I recognized the unexact posting but I couldn’t find the possibility to edit it afterwards).

How to get 17/18 into my Mac easily?

Regards,

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Pop the USB stick into a spare USB port…

Then follow the directory structure.

Something Like: AHQU/USBMTK/MTK001/TRK01.wav

(I’ve not got it in front of me)

Wil Riker
    Participant

Hello again,

I know how to copy the files on my Mac, but then the changes in processing (EQ and dynamics) which I did after recording on the Qu-16 are lost because they are not updates in the files on my Qu-Drive?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Changes in EQ after?

Ah, so you’ve recorded it, then played it back and changed the eq etc as a “post live” mix?

In that cas you’ll want to hook the QU up to the mac with a USB A-B cable and record directly from that with your favoured audio software – the QU will show up as a sound device.

Wil Riker
    Participant

Hello Bob,

yes, that’s what I want to do. I thought that there could be probably another way to do it. Perhaps a feature request for a further firmware release: Bounce tracks with channel processing directly to Qu-Drive…

Thanks for your help!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Problem is that QuDrive only supports one direction at a time – for most disks the load to do even stereo recording whilst doing 18 track playback would be unsustainable.

Wil Riker
    Participant

OK, that’s the point. I thought of bouncing offline as in any DAW like Logic. But that doesn’t seem to be possible.

But back to topic: I just tried to record my multitrack project via USB with audacity, but it doesn’t work as expected. Even muted channels are recorded and it seems to me that fader positions and processing aren’t considered either.

Another possibility could be to use my USB recorder plugged in on an analog output to get the desired mix. But I thought it has to work the digital way?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Depends on the USB output routing options (and global take off point)
    You’re only looking to record L&R, so you can just route those to 1&2 and choose to only record 1&2 in Audacity. I’m not sure that you can select “high” channel counts only in audacity, but you can choose which tracks are output where on the QU.

The USB routing is described in some detail in the manual section 9 (assuming firmware 1.6)

Wil Riker
    Participant

If it doesn’t work with Audacity, I’ll use Logic Express. I think I found the neccesary option to activate the processing affecting output stream: Output Patch > USB Audio > CH/ST source: Direct Outs

I’ll try again…

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

That’s to do full multi track, but if you want to use the QU to do the mix, and just record stereo for a CD then audacity should do the job, just record only two tracks, and route L&R to 1&2 as per Output Patch -> USB Audio

Wil Riker
    Participant

In Audacity (Mac) Stereo is automatically selected when choosing Qu-16 as recording device, whatever “Stereo” means. Routing L&R to 1&2 doesn’t solve the problem. Using Logic Express with inputs 17 & 18 and die option “Output Patch > USB Audio > CH/ST source: Direct Outs” works fine :-). That’s all I wanted to do.

Thanks for your support!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.