Audion signal dropping intermittently

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Audion signal dropping intermittently

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Art Art 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

W have started using GLD 112 since past 4 months along with digital snake AR2412 and Ar84. The equipment are fairly new.

I’m facing an issue where the Audio signal is intermittently dropping if a singer or presenter peaks up on a given input channel. I was wondering if anyone has seen this issue?

We have done some troubleshooting to find who is culprit. It appears that the dSnake AR2412 could be issue here.
    how we tested?
    1. connected two Mics with two different channel and try to peak by singing and we can reproduce the issue
    2. connected the mics directly to board and it doesn’t seem like an issue. We also don’t see any error logged either.
    3. We have analog snake connecting to digital snake. we tried bypassing the analog snake and tried directly with dSnake but the issue still persists.

Any thoughts or advise appreciated.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

How long does it drop out for? Did you soft-patch the different inputs to the same channel or were you using different channels? Have you bypassed all channel processing?

Chris

Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

trying to answer your question as we just switched to digital mixing from analog.

It drops for 1-2 seconds. Not doing any soft patch, all hard patch.
    how do I bypass all processing? I can try that if it will tell me something about board or dSanke.

thanks a lot for your help!

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

Do you have any oltion card installed? Sounds like a wolrd clock issue! Check in the setting/audio/sync if the world clock is set internal or to the option card (in case you’ve got an extension card installed!)

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I could also be a bad cable. What kind of cable are you using to connect the GLD to the AR2412?

Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

The audio clock is set to internal no other card installed.

Re cable, I have changed to tree diff cables but same issue. Does shielded vs non shielded matter?

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Yes. It must be shielded and ideally with ethercons. Personally, for long runs, I use one of the Allen & Heath or Behringer cables. For short runs, I use shielded Cat6 cables. I’ve not had any problems with any of those.

Profile photo of Mrvoltz
    Mrvoltz
    Participant

A&H recommends shielded Cat 5E for installs, and that’s what I used, but some of my shorter cables are not shielded and they are fine.

Profile photo of Kris T
    Kris T
    Participant

We have the same NO SIGNAL problem with the AR2412 too. We are running a GLD112 with AR2412 and 2xAR84s. In our initial setup, we placed the AR2412 on the stage, which is just 50m away from the mixing booth where the GLD112 is, using an STP CAT6. We had NO CONNECTION at all and the mixer couldn’t even detect the stagebox. Then we placed the AR2412 in the mixing booth with the mixer and used the short CAT5 cable that came with the ARs. That’s when the system worked flawlessly (no dropouts whatsoever). We are running an analog snake cable from the ARs to the stage now coz’ we can’t risk any dropouts during church services (which sucks because allen and heath promised a 120m run without any problems).

Now we purchased an ME-1 personal mixer to try. It was placed on stage, 50m away from the AR2412. It is dropping signal 2-3secs with a 5-7sec interval, which made that thing useless. We tried a SHORT 5m STP CAT6 for testing and that’s when it worked without any dropouts. We were using a Behringer P16-M system before and it is running 50m-75m cables, with no problems and worked fine by the way. Had we known that this would happen, we should’ve just purchased 2 x P16-Ms. We were really looking forward to using the ME system for its features but I guess we will be using our old one.

So my conclusion from this very disappointing experience.”The GLD112 with stagebox system is not reliable when using long ethernet cables”

I’m giving the GLD-AR combo a chance and get the “allen & heath” cable to see if it gets any better. It just sucks to know that you cannot use an ordinary STP CAT6 cable to get this working.

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I came to the A&H digital world from the X32 world where I can tell you, cables matter. So when I purchased my first GLD, I also bit the bullet and purchased a 70 meter A&H Cat5 cable. I’ve never had a problem with any of my I/O boxes with their cables.

They’re pricey. But they work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.