Arduino-based remote control for QU16

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu DAW integration Arduino-based remote control for QU16

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of owai owai 10 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of owai
    owai
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’ve build a small remote control with an Arduino Uno + Ethernet Shield:

here’s some pictures and videos:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sg2imqzq8rb8yij/ZRZtgNIDFj

code source available if wanted.

i still have a bug when moving linked faders… my arduino doesn’t like the packets sent by the QU 16 …

Profile photo of lesouvage
    lesouvage
    Participant

Interesting project. This way you can offer every musician control over their own monitor level with a tiny and cheap device mounted to the mic stands or tighten up to the belts of the musicians. Would be nice if it could work with a wifi shield. I’m just wondering how many members of this forum have ever heard of Arduino based solutions, the miracles that have been designed based on this small piece of hardware and the whole idea of open source software. Perhaps a dB measuring sensor can open the door to more sophisticated features.

lesouvage
    Participant

This might be a useful piece of additional hardware: https://learn.parallax.com/KickStart/29132

Profile photo of owai
    owai
    Participant

Thanks for your interrest.

This way you can offer every musician control over their own monitor level with a tiny and cheap device mounted to the mic stands or tighten up to the belts of the musicians.

That’s exactly what I want to do 🙂

The dB measure may be quite fun, true! but your component “sound impact sensor” does not seem to help to measure sound volume…

if you want, here’s my post on arduino forums, discussing my problem with incoming midi messages:
    https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=230326.msg1661833

Johan

lesouvage
    Participant

I’m seriously interested but not geeky (in the positive sense of the word) enough to contribute. If the moment is there I would love to do some testing irl. The wifi shields are much more expensive then the ethernet shields so I guess placing a router next to the stageblock will be, from a cost perspective, the best solution. Thanks for giving it a shot 🙂

Erik

lesouvage
    Participant

If the Arduino can send a request to the Qu-16 for the actual levels of the different ranges of the equalizer of a specific mix/monitor group and, if the received info indicates that, at a certain frequency, thinks start to run out of control because of feedback it might be great if the Arduino could send a message to lower the level of the frequency that is causing trouble. That way you should build yourself a 50 dollar feed back suppression device for that monitor group.

Profile photo of owai
    owai
    Participant

my problem with incoming midi messges is just solved 🙂

we have a small concert saturday, i’ll try irl ! but only one arduino box yet… the qu 16 as a limitation to the number of devices connected. However, it should be quite easy to connect/disconnect when needed, and try some seconds later if occupied. Or maybe a “master arduino” running as a “router” for the slaves arduinos.

for your “feedback destroyer”: yes, the arduino can ask the qu 16 how are the settings (faders, eq, comp,… everything!)
    and yes, we can also change all these settings.
    but… to detect a feedback accurately, we need more computing power than a simple arduino. it won’t be accurate nor fast enought.

Profile photo of owai
    owai
    Participant

the arduino box worked fine! very useful during sound check, and when changing guitar electric/accoustic…

Now I’ll have to build one for every musician :p … and manage conflicts, because the QU16 allows only one connection at a time.

If someone is interrested, feel free to use my code at:

thanks for reading

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

I’m naive enough to not understand. What level of control would this offer musicians re. their monitor mix?

Profile photo of Jimmydrummer
    Jimmydrummer
    Participant

This is a great creation. – Great work! The only sad thing is that it would be unnecessary if A&H had designed designed the firmware to support multiple ipads or iphone apps just like Mackie, Behringer, Presonus & Soundcraft have done. Hopefully they will sort this in the next firmware update.

Profile photo of owai
    owai
    Participant

@GR-PDX : this offer a musician a way to modify 4 (on my device, more if you want to) channel volumes to his “return-mix”. But you can assign the potentiometers to anything you want (FX, EQ, …).

@JimmyDrummer : thanks for your comment. I hope to get a multiple device support in next update too! But my Arduino device has 2 advantages over the ipad: it costs +- 20€ (+-500 for an ipad); and it has physical buttons, wich are sometimes easier to manipulate quickly, in dark light, between 2 chords 🙂

Johan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.