AR2412 for QU24

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions AR2412 for QU24

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BLKGHOST BLKGHOST 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Les
    Les
    Participant

I’ve come across a 2412 that was used with a GLD console. Will this work with the QU as well? I can’t seem to find anything that shows any difference between the two snakes but would like to ask to make sure before I buy. Thanks so much!

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

I use one of those with my QU 24, so the answer would be yes :o)

Profile photo of Leon BigEars A&H
    Leon BigEars A&H

TIP:
    make sure the AR2412 has last been connected to a GLD running the latest firmware
    in this way the AR2412 will have be auto-updated to the latest code which will enable it to work with the QU range.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Actually a new 2412 run instantly on a Qu, even without buying an additional GLD to upgrade firmware first… šŸ˜‰

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

Works perfectly – just like the guys above said. Mine worked straight from the box, no GLD involvement required:)

Profile photo of Les
    Les
    Participant

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it! I’ll try to find out that information…if it has the latest firmware. My console, the QU-24, does. Let me ask this. If, let’s say, the AR doesn’t have the firmware, can tha be updated without the GLD console?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

I understand Leon’s tip this way: “Older” AR units may have a firmware which can not communicate properly with the Qu, and I doubt that such a unit will accept a new firmware from a Qu though. No idea if a Qu can update a Qu-aware AR…

Profile photo of Pete
    Pete
    Participant

As the AR2412 just talks via standard ethernet, is it possible to update the firmware by connecting to a PC/Mac? If so, I guess a crossover ethernet cable might be needed if not going via a hub/router. Does the mixer act as a DHCP server? If not I guess you would have to connect via a DHCP enableded hub/router using standard straight through ethernet cables. I’ve had a route around the GLD/QU support areas for firmware updates to the AR2412 and I can’t find any.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I regularly use one 2412 and an 084 between GLD and QU with no issues. Mix and match. Never a problem.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

Pete: As I understand it, dSNAKE is just Ethernet layer 2 compliant. I’m not sure that necessarily means a firmware update is possible if connected directly to a PC. If it did, it would have to talk raw Ethernet.

IP addresses, DHCP etc are beyond the remit of Ethernet layer 2.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Not sure its worth discussing updateability of the AR from PC or Qu. I don’t expect too much computing inside which needs regular updates, only expect some adaption to the dSnake protocol. If it works, no update necessary.
    Buying a used AR may require to check it is properly updated before.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I think we have reached a point where Nicola needs to chime in and verify any of these speculations.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

updateability of the AR from MAC / PC or Qu?

As I understand it, dSNAKE is just Ethernet layer 2 compliant. Iā€™m not sure that necessarily means a firmware update is possible if connected directly to a MAC / PC? If it did, it would have to talk raw Ethernet.

IP addresses, DHCP etc are beyond the remit of Ethernet layer 2?’

reached a point where Nicola needs to chime in and verify any of these speculations.

Please!
    I have 3 huge events this coming week and need to know… just to know
    Thank you
    dave NZ

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

You are pretty much all correct.
    AudioRacks are Ethernet Layer 2 devices, and cannot connect to a computer or router.
    AudioRacks can only be firmware updated with a GLD mixer.
    AudioRacks are compatible with Qu out of the box. We have tested all GLD firmware versions on an AudioRack back to V1.02 to work with Qu.
    There is one rare circumstance which might exhibit compatibility issues, that is a failed (interrupted) firmware update process on an AudioRack. In this case the AudioRack falls back to the original factory firmware and wouldn’t work with Qu.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Could a custom ethernet driver be put together for a PC allowing update?

For that matter – what gets/needs updating?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.