Apple Airport express

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Apple Airport express

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of audiokla audiokla 9 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of audiokla
    audiokla
    Participant

Hi,
    lot of guys write about using an apple airport express router. I use an TP Link Nano pocket router. It works quite well. Somtimes I have interference with my Shure GLX-D wireless system. But I think I have to change the channels.
    My question:
    Are there any further advantages of the apple router except the possibility of using the airplay?
    Please tell me your experiences.

Greetings from Germany

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

Greetings from Minnesota, USA
    I use an Apple Airport Express with my Qu, my Presonus mixer and My MOTU 1248. It has never let me down. One reason, is it uses both 2.4 and 5gHz bands. They cost $100. More than some but worth it in my opinion.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I am completely satisfied and impressed with the reliablity of the Apple Airport Express routers, and to me,
    the Apple Airport Extreme is not as strong as the Airport Express and heck, the “Airplay” feature is wonderful.

audiokla
    Participant

so what is the difference between the express and the extreme router? Which one is better for the QU?

Profile photo of mamerica
    mamerica
    Participant

Well, there is a big difference in size (and price). The extreme has more network ports. It also has a USB port that you can use for a hard drive and do wireless backups of your computer. It also has a wider range. I use an extreme at home because it is powerful enough to reach the basement where my son has his play station but I use the express with the Qu. Its small size is convenient and it has plenty of range. I’ve never had any issues with it even at outdoor events where things tend to be spread out a bit more.

Profile photo of topdj
    topdj
    Participant

so an express will work good with an I pad 3, I have a 2.4 only unit now and in congested wireless areas it has issues no matter what channel. once I get one set correctly I want to hide it I think people with there phones are attempting to connect. Is this the correct choice if I’m going to connect several devices to the QU units? I have 2 a 16 and a 24.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I own two Apple Airport Express routers, I use one for the Qu24 and one for my Mackie DL32R.
    You can connect as many i-devices as you want to the Express it doesn’t care. There can be 3,000 or more iphones in the audience all trying to find a free (unlocked) internet connection and that has NEVER been a problem for me, even at outdoor concerts of 5,000 people or more in the audience. Just download the “Airport Utility” App from the App store and use it to set up the router, it is super easy. Just make sure that you lock the connection to your router by requiring a password.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

This is a good read. The extreme apparently offers an 802.11ac network.

audiokla
    Participant

thanks

audiokla
    Participant

yesterday I bought myself an airport express. Great deal (85 €). I tried it immediatly. Airplay is awesome. I love it.
    My only problem is my tsr-jack cable. I only have one stereo cable in that size, so I tried it. The problem is, if I plug in the cable totally into the st3 input, I only hear the music at one side. If I do not plug in the whole jack, it is ok and coming out of all the two speakers. There might be a stereo problem?? I didn’t know that there are different cables in that size. What kind of cable do I have to use?

2nd question:
    Is it possible to route the QU-Drive to the st2 output? Because with the st3 Output I can switch (and read) the QU-Drive, it is not the same with the st2. If I choose the USB, I only see x at the output.

Greetings from Germany (and sorry for the english)

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

TRS or TRRS at the airport end?

It should be a standard stereo jack (TRS)…

audiokla
    Participant

this is exactly what i thought.
    It is on both side a mini TRS jack.
    But as I said

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Hmm, might be a tolerance issue (cable at one end, socket at the other), but I doubt it would be that far out.

Just to check that it’s definitely the plug rather the cable being bent differently between the two positions?

audiokla
    Participant

I don’t where this cable came from. I just found it in my box. So I will buy me a new one. This one is too short by the way. So I buy me a normal cable with mini TSR jack. This should work. Thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.