Anyway to save Multitrack recording if Limiter shuts power off mid performance?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Anyway to save Multitrack recording if Limiter shuts power off mid performance?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Hi Guys
    With more and more venues using Limiters these days Ive come across the following problem.
    If I’m recording the perfromance as a multitrack, when the limiter kicks in and shuts the power off from the stage/desk the recording is lost. I assume this is because it deosnt end and finalise the recording properly.
    Is there anything that can be done to save the files correctly upon return of power, or anything that can be done to prevent such things in the future with an update?

Just to advise, I am NEVER able to plug the desk into a none limiter plug at any venues.

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of Stix
    Stix
    Participant

A computer UPS backup supply plugged into your mixer will give you time to stop/save the recording when the power goes off.

coffee_king
    Participant

Well, thats one pretty cool thought 🙂

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’ve got a smaller version of this one:
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ups-power-supplies/7793838/
    (mine is no longer seems to be available it seems). Use it on generators, venues with limiters, thunderstorms, and if I’m making an important recording.

Have a good search for better prices, but don’t buy a second hand one, as you don’t know if the battery’s been well looked after or not.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

UPS is the best bet. Or a long extension lead and plug in by the tills 😉

coffee_king
    Participant

All great ideas, but does anyone know WHY the QU16 works like this when recording to USB drives?
    When I use my DSLR to record video footage if the battery runs out it still saves the file OK to the SD card in it.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I’m guessing that with batteries it knows that it’s about to die, and uses the last bit of energy to finalise the recording (mine say’s “Low Battery – Shutting Down” or something like that). So it manages this function itself and “decides” to shut down before the batteries actually get too low for it to work any more, which is much better than recording another 5 minutes, then loosing the whole thing.

If you were to open the battery compartment door while filming, would it still be OK?

coffee_king
    Participant

If you were to open the battery compartment door while filming, would it still be OK?

Yeah, when you open the battery compartment door it does NOT save the last video being recorded. So I guess your right about all that.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

In my opinion, it is always a good idea to run a UPS on any digital mixer. Not only does it protect you from power outages, but a good UPS can also filter out power anomalies which can sometimes lock up or cause unwanted side effects with some digital consoles.

Profile photo of Dags
    Dags
    Participant

+1 for using a UPS with the digital mixer. Several times it has saved messy power-up delays and speaker thumps during short blackouts.
    I have a second UPS for the AR2412 as well which can be carried inside a 4u rack case with the AR2412 (padded, of course, to prevent anything getting damaged)

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Since there normally is a cable between stage and FOH, I’ll placed my 1U UPS right into the stagerack and run a power cord back to FOH. So I only need a single power source on stage and may locate my FOH wherever I’m able to run my (d)Snake to.
    You’ll find some pics here, but in the meantime I’ve relocated the UPS into a separate case, the whole box was just too heavy to carry…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.