Any gooseneck talkback mic recommendation for Qu?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Any gooseneck talkback mic recommendation for Qu?

This topic contains 56 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dpdan dpdan 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

Because of the back located talkback XLR, I cannot find any good gooseneck mic for it to install. Any recommendation?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I use an old Audio Technica podium mic with a windscreen on it.
    Since it needs a right angle plug I modified mine, it was simple to do with only a few tools.

Remove the set screw that secures the XLR three pin insert from the bottom of the mic,
    then unsolder the three wires, note which ones go to which pin, (shield is always pin one)
    use some small wire to extend the wires a few inches. The shield does not have to be bare shield wire,
    it can be the same as the other two.
    use a dremmel with a cutoff wheel or a grinder to make the “boot end” of the right angle XLR small enough to fit inside the end of the mic where the 3 pin insert was.

Drill four small evenly spaced holes around the end of the mic and use four small screws to screw through the mic and into four matching small holes drilled into the XLR connector.
    Solder the newly extended wired to the right angle XLR plug and rotate the insert so that it is at the position you desire.

I have the Allen & Heath LED lamp and it is positioned just above the talkback mic connector so the talkback plug will have to be at about the two O’clock position as you look at the back of the mixer, be careful not to yank too much on the talkback mic since it is putting some stress on the console’s connector being at and angle, should not be a problem though.

plug

screws

plugs

Profile photo of robbocurry
    robbocurry
    Participant

I wish you lived a bit closer Dan, you’re a very capable “Mr. Fixit”!
    Your DL case mod was very neat too, I was tempted by your cable loom but shipping here would have been mental:/

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

awe shucks, 🙂
    I’m just crazy enough to try modifying anything within reason… especially if it isn’t worth much to begin with 🙂
    he he

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

I have a gooseneck mic I got a long time ago thet has a bendable section at each end and a straight tube in the middle. It bends far enough to work just fine:

https://www.bswusa.com/Podium-Microphones-Audio-Technica-PRO49QL-P745.aspx

This is the least expensive I see at the moment. It is not critical, just get the longest gooseneck you can find, and you won’t need to manufacture it yourself!

I LOVE the low cut on the Qu – helps against feedback and boominess, unless you want the VOG (Voice of God) type of sound. Some performers need that kind of authority.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Lou,
    mine also has the two sections that are gooseneck with the solid section between.

Those two angles do not provide enough bending to hang over the Qu24,
    it needs a right angle plug, the gooseneck sections on your mic must be longer than mine.

microphone

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

So I bought this Audio-Technica-PRO49QL. But the bottom gooseneck does not bend 90 degree right angle, it will just bend back. I think I need a XLR right angle converter. But All I find is one end male XRL another end is just a wire. Is there a right angle XLR male to female adapter/converter?

Thanks.

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

Again, all I can find is this type of connector:

XLR Right angle

Where can I find a one with a XLR female on the other end without the cables in between?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Hawk,
    I understand what you need,…a simple XLR female to male right angle adaptor, but I could not find one on Neutrik’s website or anywhere on the net, so that’s why I modified mine. Understand that if we could find just the adaptor it would not be positioned at the correct “rotational” angle so that the LED lamp could also be plugged in at the same time.
    If you would like, I would be happy to modify yours too for nothing but shipping to and from and the cost of the right angle plug. Should be about $35.00 USD. if you are in the USA, otherwise it would not be practical.
    It will of course void the factory warranty on the mic but who cares.

Dan

Here is how mine turned out…

microphone

lamp

plug

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

Cool. I don’t use the lamp, so that’s not the problem. But I don’t think the microphone has to be screwed with the connector. All I need is a right angled xlr male to female adapter without cable in between. The adapter itself will hold the mic with no problem.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

there is no such adaptor anywhere,, that’s why I modified mine and offered to do yours too.
    Dan

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

Thanks. I think I will just live with the bending for now.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

well, I finally have a solution…
    I made a black “hard-body” XLR male to female adaptor using all Neutrik parts.

I have them available on eBay for $39.00 bucks with free shipping. USA ONLY shipping sorry. Item number 161308657499

I made it so that your gooseneck “podium” microphone will be placed at an angle that is sufficient for those who also use the Allen & Heath LED gooseneck lamp.

Dan

audio connector

audio connector

audio connector

audio connector

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

wow, can I have a link? I may buy it some day 🙂 Thanks.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

I put the ebay item number in that post but here it is again 🙂
    Dan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.