AFL levels

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions AFL levels

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jhb1982 jhb1982 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jhb1982
    jhb1982
    Participant

Sorry for the rookie question, I should probably know the answer to this and I’m sure it’s just standard behaviour of all mixers, but strangely I cannot find a reference for it…

For simplicity sake, say I only have a kick drum mic connected and both the channel and master fader are at unity. Why is it that when selecting AFL the signal jumps by (as far as I can tell) 3 dB vs. AFL off? Is this because the LR output is attenuated/compensated to account for channel summing?

Would really like to know because ideally, I want to use the main signal indicator to set channel levels, but I’m not sure if that means I have to (a) mute everything other than the channel of interest to get the ‘actual’ level, (b) restrict myself to using the level bars on the display for setting individual channels or (c) use AFL but get channels peaking at about 3 dB (and turn the headphone output down to avoid blasting my ears when using AFL!)

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

See P.76 of the User Guide: Calibration.

Try again after, then get back.

Profile photo of jhb1982
    jhb1982
    Participant

Calibration makes no difference. I also verified the channel and main faders are at unity from the display and I tried a hard reset in case of any system funnies. Same behaviour.

Profile photo of jhb1982
    jhb1982
    Participant

Ok, so enabling input AFL gives me the expected reading, it’s when input AFL is turned off that it’s louder (I think probably by 6 dB not 3 – bit hard to tell…)

Regardless, surely input on or off should be the when the channel fader and master fader are unity?! Must be missing something obvious…

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

one mono signal goes to two Main busses?

Profile photo of jhb1982
    jhb1982
    Participant

I initially thought it might be something to do with that but it’s the same for stereo sources (e.g. st1).

Profile photo of jhb1982
    jhb1982
    Participant

Sorry Steffen I think you’re right.

So Input AFL on = AFL, Input AFL off = PFL per standard behaviour, AFL is post channel fader/pan and mute. I guess what I am observing is the QU putting in 6.02 dB attenutation for constant loudness/panning law into a stereo (main LR) mix?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.