AES out anyone?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions AES out anyone?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of aurblack aurblack 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike Storm
    Mike Storm
    Participant

I’m curious about real world applications of the AES output. I thought I could use it with my PCM91 but I’d need an input too.
    Anyone out there using it, and what for?

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Using it as a digital feed to a PA management system, working pretty well.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

It would be nice to have one on the other end of my dSnake……

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

Speaker management\amps\recorders that can take an AES3 input: keep the signal digital as long as possible.

Profile photo of turnstile
    turnstile
    Participant

I use it with an outboard D to A for monitoring.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Is the AES locked into a particular format 48k 24bit?
    I used to use [a long time ago] on ADAT [blackface] systems the AES/EBU however from memory it was only 16 bit 48k.
    I look at that socket on the rear of the QU and think gosh, if only I could use that for… something!?
    OK so any recommendations for equipment to use with this port?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Speaker management systems…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Oke doke so thats 2 of you
    Can you supply a link for users to see the type of system you are using this with?
    The actual apparatus.

Thank you

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant
    Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

Anytime you have a chance to keep things in the digital world, do it.

If your system processor has AES in, you avoid both an AD and DA conversion by going straight digital.

If you’re using an amp with DSP built in, some will have an AES input which avoids 2 conversions also.

100% of the time I use any digital console I patch a Waves MaxxBCL onto the AES output. Mastering grade DA conversion and mastering grade processing.

Makes a huge difference, little sub $1500 consoles start sounding like $20k+ consoles.

Keep in mind, a MaxxBCL is about $3000 so it isn’t exactly cheap.

Profile photo of BWhite
    BWhite
    Participant

Can you use the AES out to a DX012 for in-ear monitors. Patch from XLR to psm300 systems? Also is the AES stereo, mono or selectable?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

On a QU32 you can patch any of the outputs to The AES
    Not sure about the SQ or the other top shelf brigade 🙂

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Can you use the AES out to a DX012 for in-ear monitors. Patch from XLR to psm300 systems? Also is the AES stereo, mono or selectable?

That interface is only for the SQ and Avantis series mixers and is fed from the link outputs.

On my QU’s I the AES output for the main LR mix to my system processors for the main PA, that saves an DA to AD conversion stages.

For what it’s worth I use Venue 360 system DSP’s

If you need to feed two DSP inputs Whirlwind makes a good passive AES splitter.
    If you split AES more than two ways I would start looking at active splitters.

AES is two channels.

The AES format has been around since the mid 80’s and was first used in broadcast long before mixing live sound with a digital mixer was a talking point.

Profile photo of aurblack
    aurblack
    Participant

I started working like this: I connect my sq5 to a d&b audiotechnik D12 amplifier using AES/EBU. Guys, the difference between analog and AES is very big. The sound on AES is much better, transparency appeared …
    I am delighted!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.