64 Input channels from Dante network, Broadcast Mixer

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions 64 Input channels from Dante network, Broadcast Mixer

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nicola A&H Nicola A&H 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Daniel
    Daniel
    Participant

Setup Details:
    Console #1: iLive-T112 + iDR-48 w/ Port B ACE card + xDR-16 w/ Port B Dante card
    Console #2: iLive-T112 + iDR-32 w/ Port B ACE card + xDR-16 w/ Port B Dante card

Hello. Basically, I have two iLive systems which mix their own live shows during the day and are set up as shown above with their own mix racks. I would like to add the capability that Console #1 can mix a 64 channel show and Console #2 can mix the same show for broadcast. I thought the best way to do this was to output 64 Dante channels from Console #1 and grab all 64 Dante channels with Console #2. However I find that I and missing 16 Dante input channels on Console #2 due to the fact that ACE channels 1-16 are xDR-16 preamps, and cannot be assigned to Dante inputs.

Am I correct in my assumption that I cannot bring 64 Dante inputs into my Console #2? Is there another way I can share all 64 inputs from Console #1 with Console #2 only using a cat5 network without having to repatch? The consoles are in different buildings and cannot have a direct link.

Couple ideas I had. Can anyone recommend a better one or comment on these?
    1) Could I get a 2nd mix rack iDR-32 to get more Dante inputs?
    2) If I could find 16 outputs, I can route 16 Dante channels to 16 physical outputs on an xDR, then patch those 16 outputs to 16 inputs with physical cables to get the missing 16 channels.
    3) Mix stems with Console #1 and have less inputs on Console #2 (not ideal).

Thank you!

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Daniel,

Do you need an xDR-16 on each system? If you could fit the Dante card directly to the iDR-32, that would give you 64 Dante inputs.
    If Console #1 is only sending to Dante (no need for Dante inputs), then you could connect both Expanders to this system on Link1 and Link2 of the ACE card.

Profile photo of Daniel
    Daniel
    Participant

Nicola, thanks for the response. I do need an xDR-16 on each system so I can’t put the Dante card directly in the iDR-32.

I’m afraid I’m not following your second suggestion. How would connecting 2 xDR-16s to Console #1 help Console #2 receive 64 channels of Dante? If you meant to say to connect 2 xDRs to Console #2, the receiving console, then it could be as simple as purchasing another xDR-16 with a Dante card. Thanks!

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

The limitation is on the Port B interface of the iDR, which is always 64×64 channels. Using an Expander will naturally take some of those channels. So if you connected the 2x xDR-16s to the Console 1, the Port B in Console 2 would be free to receive 64ch of Dante.

Profile photo of Daniel
    Daniel
    Participant

I see. It makes sense that each Port B can handle 64 x 64.

Since I need 64 mic ins on Console #1 and 48 mic ins on Console #2 what I could do is the following:

Console #1: Move the iDR-32 + 2x xDR-16s + 1 Dante card. Then I’d have 64 Dante outs and 32 Dante ins. The only issue is that I need more than 16 balanced outs. For each output over 16 I need, I’ll decrease my Dante outs, right?

Console #2: Move the iDR-48 this one and install a Dante card from one of the xDRs. Then I get all 64 x 64 Dante.

Is my thinking correct?

Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Nearly there 🙂

Then I’d have 64 Dante outs and 32 Dante ins.

No, the Dante inputs would be limited to 16 in this configuration. To run 2x xDR-16s the ACE card must be set to Redundancy Off – Input 1-32 Link1, 33-64 Link2. It reserves 16 inputs for the card in the second expander, which you wouldn’t be using.

For each output over 16 I need, I’ll decrease my Dante outs, right?

You can use all the outputs, however the patch is partially shared. Basically you can patch 64 signals to your Port B ACE. These will always be on the Dante output. But some will also go to the xDRs XLR outputs. You can pick the range you want for these in the Mixer Preferences.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.