Recording with Dante and Protools

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Recording with Dante and Protools

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dshriver dshriver 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rasweig
    rasweig
    Participant

I have been trying to get basic recording and virtual sound check working with my Ilive. (Idr-16) . I have the dante card installed, upgraded to Pro Tools 11, installed some ASIO drivers (never really knew what was the right one).

I can get all 16 channels to flow in one direction but not the other. But that I mean, I can playback recording I have made in protools, and route that to the IDR-16 for the virtual sound check. (Man was it a lot of trial and error to get this to work.) What I am still stumped on , is sending data from the ilive to protools (running on Windows platform). The tracks i have to work with i recorded with the ADAT out card to a HD24. (so very simple!) , then pulled the wave files into protoosl. But I want to get to virtual sound check capability.

Has anyone got this to work in both directions?
    And is there a setup / or scene that you have built , that can make this quick to switch back and forth from record to monitor?

Bob
    Blueberry Sound
    Fort Wayne, IN
    2 IDR-16 (no surface)
    Thinkpad X1 running 1.9 Editor
    ACE / MMO / Dual Rack / ADAT (for more outputs)
    Dante / Protools 11

Profile photo of rasweig
    rasweig
    Participant

Just a quick update on this, which i do not understand. :)
    I can playback protools , via dante to the Ilive rack, but i cannot seem tpo record from teh rack to protools via the dante connection.

Reaper is the opposite. That is, i can record in reaper from the rack (allow i seem to get that kind of jumping in levels liek you would see with clock issues. But the playback from reaper will not go to the rack.

I figure it has something to do with the routing and not a driver issue per se’. I guess i could use the info on how to set up paths from both protools and reaper .

My set up is three laptops. 1. is connected directly to the control port on the dante card in the ilive rack. That is running dante controller. I have a windows 7 thinkpad running editor 1.9 connected via a wireless AP. The third laptop is a win 7 thinkpad running protools and/or reaper, and that is connect directly to the dante primary data port. Thanks again for any and all help you might be able to provide.

Bob
    Blueberry Sound
    Fort Wayne, IN
    2 IDR-16 (no surface)
    Thinkpad X1 running 1.9 Editor
    ACE / MMO / Dual Rack / ADAT (for more outputs)
    Dante / Protools 11

Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

Hi Bob,

It sounds to me like you have your Dante routing messed up.

In ProTools/Reaper make sure all your track inputs are set to your Dante channels. Also make sure that your track outputs are set to your Dante channels.

Using the Dante controller you’ll need to set the maxium number of channels. This will also have to be set in Reaper. I typically set the latency to the 6ms setting since it is the most tolerant.

Set your clock source for your computer and your iLive to the Dante card.

There are two pieces of software you need for Dante. You need the DVS(Dante Virtual Sound Card) and you need the Dante Controller. You use the Controller to setup routing, clock source, etc.

-d

Shalin Liu Performance Center
    37 Main Street
    Rockport, MA 01966
    http://www.rockportmusic.org

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.