AH & Apple

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tk2k tk2k 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Musikhof
    Musikhof
    Participant

really AH .. i´m wondering. On all your remote apps, you forced the customer to use Apple products (iPads). Therefore you denied access to more than 85% of all worldwide users with Android systems.

Nearly all other vendors like Soundcraft, Yamaha and even Behringer … deployed their apps also on android platform. Why not AH ??

The source code is quit close, it´s just a question of compiling the code to a different platform. I know you are a small company with less developers as your opponents, but PLEASE think about…

I´m quit sure that the adnroid community would like to help you. If it´s a company strategy … well ok – i just need to accept. Is it just because of knowledge leaks in your developers department – just ask the open source community to help.

I sold all my Apple stuff because of their behaviour and ignorance against a user whenever any problem with their hardware appears and changed to an Android system, which gives me more power, better support for a third of the cost, just because its an APPLE … sorry for sounding a bit frustrated, but i hardly can´t understand why everybody else can do and not you, as my favorite company.

Don´t get me wrong – i love your products. I use an iLive and now also a QU and love both, but i will not buy an iPad again, even if this means i will never had a remote option for my systems. just my 2 cents …

IDR48 & T112, QU16, AR2412 , Dante, Lenovo i5, Samplitude ProX, Pro Tools11

Profile photo of Rob-Spence
    Rob-Spence
    Participant

Apple vs android is often a product support cost business decision.

On the iPad, there is only one carefully controlled development environment. An app for the iPad works on all iPads as long as it has enough processor or graphics (some things don’t work well on iPad 1).

On android, there is a huge variety of different hardware with differing screen sizes, shapes and capabilities. That makes for a very expensive development and testing situation and leads to a complicated support environment too. What does support do when a user calls with a problem and the company has never seen the device?
    Also, android devices have a very short market life. Devices available last year may have already been replaced with newer, but perhaps not 100% compatable models.

While some other companies are supporting android or windows, there may be a good reason why all of them bring out an iPad version first.

It’s just a tool. If you want remote control, get the tool.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com
    GLD-80 w/M-DANTE, AR2412, AR84, MacBook Pro, Reaper

Profile photo of Detonator
    Detonator
    Participant

Musikhof –

“Nearly all other vendors like Soundcraft, Yamaha and even Behringer … deployed their apps also on android platform.”

Not so. None of the above would be more accurate.

Tim Tyler
    Detonator Sound
    Richmond, Va USA
    R72/32 laptop iPad Dir-815 Dante

Profile photo of Musikhof
    Musikhof
    Participant

Some good reasons …

thanks Rob

IDR48 & T112, QU16, AR2412 , Dante, Lenovo i5, Samplitude ProX, Pro Tools11

Profile photo of robi
    robi
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Spence
    On android, there is a huge variety of different hardware with differing screen sizes, shapes and capabilities. That makes for a very expensive development and testing situation and leads to a complicated support environment too.

So it can not be because there are many applications for android, which has invoked one person, a student, etc. and such software works on different devices with different resolutions. I do not believe that it would be for A&H too expensive or complicated to create an application using only graphics and network interface of android.
    I am not a sw developer, but I believe applications do not communicate directly with the hardware device, but with the environment of Android, so differences in hardware devices can not be much of a problem.

quote:

What does support do when a user calls with a problem and the company has never seen the device?

There may be a list of certified devices on which the application will be tested with the fact that others are not guaranteed. But in my opinion does not matter as more on a device hw as on a version of android.

quote:

Also, android devices have a very short market life. Devices available last year may have already been replaced with newer, but perhaps not 100% compatable models.

Newer models have higher resolution, faster processor and more memory, I do not see a big problem.

I believe that it is just a decision, if the demand is really so great that the application for android paid to create. And I am one of those who have Android devices and do not want to buy expensive Apple just for one application.

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

iPad only is fine. It’s an expensive console, android isn’t built for stability it’s built for flexibility. I think A&H made a good decision on this. I’d much rather have good firmware updates that add features then android compatibility.

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    Austin Federa, Lawrence University
    https://dimmercheck.blogspot.com

Profile photo of BobWitte
    BobWitte
    Participant

iPad is fine here too. The lowest cost iPad is all you need. We pretty much dedicate it to our sound usage only. A refurb from Apple is the way we went to save a few $. Then a good case (Otterbox) to protect the investment while roaming the stage/FOH…..

Bob

GLD80, AR2412, 2xAR84, Dante, GLD Remote

Profile photo of casigoreng
    casigoreng
    Participant

For all apples: Android is build for stability. It is flexible and it has a common API to develop applications for many devices. The requerements of a GLD Remote are covered by the basic System-API like drawing on the screen and communicate over the network.

The only reason why A&H does not support Android is: The just don’t have the money. But i would pay for an GLD Remote for Android if it was available. The simplest apple ipad 1 is still about 180€. So an android application for abaout 20€ would be nice!

https://www.canto-forte.de

Profile photo of tk2k
    tk2k
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by casigoreng

For all apples: Android is build for stability. It is flexible and it has a common API to develop applications for many devices. The requerements of a GLD Remote are covered by the basic System-API like drawing on the screen and communicate over the network.

Have you actually developed for Android? yes in a controlled, locked down, environment it can be a very good choice. But that’s not how it would be used here.

iDR-48, T-112, Mixpad
    Austin Federa, Lawrence University
    https://dimmercheck.blogspot.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Archived GLD Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.