xDR Port B inputs

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions xDR Port B inputs

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Highflyer1953 Highflyer1953 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

I recently added a Dante card to the Port B on my xDR-16. I’ve been able to record 32 channels of direct outs from that Dante card to my laptop. However, when I want to play back those channels I seem to be limited to 16 inputs from the Port B on the xDR-16. ACE supports 64 channels, and 16 of those would be the pre-amps on the xDR-16. However, I was hoping to use the other 48 channels as inputs from the Dante card. Is this possible? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Shalin Liu Performance Center
    37 Main Street
    Rockport, MA 01966
    http://www.rockportmusic.org

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

https://www.allen-heath.com/UK/CategoryDocuments/xDR-16%20Getting%20Started%20Guide%20AP8331_2.pdf
    should answer your questions

SRV-AVB
    R-72, iDR-16, xDR-16, Dante

Profile photo of vilddyr
    vilddyr
    Participant

I think this should be dependent on you XDR mode. You can set the XDR mode for 2 XDR units or 1. If it is configured for 2, you have only 16 port B returns for each racks. Otherwise 48 :)

Profile photo of dshriver
    dshriver
    Participant

I finally got this problem figured out. With v1.9 software there are 3 ACE networking options for the Port B card in the iDR rack. They are:

Redundancy On – All inputs from Link 1 – For two cable redundant backup connection (FOH/Monitor or Dual-Rack systems).

Redundancy Off: In1-64 from Link1 – For 64 channel system linking (FOH/Monitor or DualRack) or adding one xDR-16 expander with 48 inputs from its Port B. The second socket is available to daisy chain 64 outputs to another MixRack.

Redundancy Off: In1-32 Lnk1, 33-64 Lnk2 – For connecting two xDR-16 expanders with 32 inputs available from each Port B.

I had the 2nd option selected but I couldn’t figure out how to access Port B channels 33-64. I finally realized those channels are not accessed the same way that the first 32 are.

With the xDR attached to the Port B ACE card in my iDR and a Dante card in the xDR Port B slot there are 64 ACE channels coming into iLive from the xDR. When you set an IP source ACE Channels 1-16 are the xDR-16 preamps (XA-1 – XB-8). ACE Channels 17-32 are selected as xDR Port B (X1 1-16). ACE Channels 33-64 are selected as “Ace Port B” (33-64). It would have been nice if those last 32 channels were listed with the xDR Port B channels. That’s where I expected to find them and that was my stumbling block. But to get to those extra 32 channels you have to select “Ace Port B”.

I understand the reason that Allen and Heath did it that way. Those channels are normally used for redundency or for a 2nd xDR-16. Still, its not obvious how you would select them if you want to use all 64 channels from one xDR-16.

Now my only real complaint is that there is no way to turn off the 16 channels of pre-amp in the xDR and get a full 64 channels of Dante into the iLive if the Dante is installed in the xDR Port B slot.

Shalin Liu Performance Center
    37 Main Street
    Rockport, MA 01966
    http://www.rockportmusic.org

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

thanx for sharing…

Profile photo of Highflyer1953
    Highflyer1953
    Participant

I have a similar problem, but it is made worse in that the xdr16 is used on the drum riser, hence no drums in virtual mix!!!! Any suggestions

Idr32 xdr16. T112.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.