Dante and Reaper PC question

Forums Forums iLive Forums Archived iLive Discussions Dante and Reaper PC question

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of timtrace timtrace 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

Hi guys,

I have a quick question. We just bought a Dante card and I was wondering if the Dante controller and Reaper can be run on the same PC. I have seen and been told conflicting things. I read in the documentation that you can run both on the same PC but have been told that they need to be on separate PC’s. Is anyony able to clarify this?

For reference: Will be multitracking 36 channels (last count…may be more) in Reaper. Have a iDR-64 with Dante in port B. Recording will be about 2 hours in length.

Cheers

Profile photo of Geddy
    Geddy
    Participant

Hey Bear,

welcome to the club. If installed correct, there will be no faults while using Dante Controller and any kind of DAWs.

I’m using Dante with iDRs for more than 18 month now as reliable companion on MacBooks and PCs.

As you need Dante Controller only while setting up your Transmitter/Receiver-Matrix there is no interaction necessary to your DAW.

But you can’t run Dante Controller on a PC which is connected to ACE-Network for iLive-Editor, as both networks are physical and logical separated domains.

I use a MacBook/PC and reaper as backup recorder running 50+ track recordings for 3+ hours at a time without nay trouble.

Enjoy Recording with Dante, it’s so easy and reliable!

Günter Eisbach
    dL-Recording
    Darmstadt / Germany

Profile photo of woutert
    woutert
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by GuenterEisbach

But you can’t run Dante Controller on a PC which is connected to ACE-Network for iLive-Editor, as both networks are physical and logical separated domains.

There’s a little mistake here. A PC is never connected to ACE, always to the network port.

Yes, you can run iLive editor, Reaper, Dante Virtual Soundcard and Dante Controller on the same PC.

The only thing that you need to respect is that if you connected you PC to the iLive controller (R72,T80, T112 etc) network port, that this port is limited to only 10Mb/s (because it’s tunneled over the ACE connection) so in that case you can have iLive editor but not Dante Virtual Soundcard as that transmits and receives too much data UNLESS you configure your Dante Virtual Soundcard for 2 channels only as that is far less than 10Mb/s.

I usually connect my laptop to my router that in turn is connected to iLive network AND Dante.

Wouter
    IDR32, R72, Dante, Mixpad
    laptop, TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

Thanks for that guys.

Now I have a few issues.
    1) In the Dante Controller I am getting heaps of Events. I am getting “Timed out 3 times awaiting a reply to message ‘Versions’ from PC, giving up.” Happens every ten secs.
    2) In the Dante Controller Routing view on the Dante Receivers I am getting an exclamation mark next to the Dante Card(BKLYN2-0609dc). In the transmitter section there is no exclamation mark. I assume this is linked to issue 1?
    3) On the Dante Virtual Soundcard I am getting in the left bottom corner “ASIO Application: Disconnected”.
    4) In Reaper I am getting an error, “There was an error while opening your hardware: Error loading ASIO driver. Would you like to view your audio device configuration?” I assume this is linked to issue 3.

If anyone has had similar issues or know fixes that would be great.

Profile photo of Bear
    Bear
    Participant

Well, I just found out about the Reaper 64bit issue with dante. I have uninstalled it and installed the 32 bit version. Reaper now recognises the ASIO driver, Hopefully that has fixed my ASIO issues. Won’t know until I go back tomorrow morning.

Profile photo of Future2
    Future2
    Participant

Hallo Günter,

ich habe seit neusten auch eine IDR32 mit DANTE und Reaper. Vielleicht kannst du mir helfen.
    Leider habe ich Probleme eine Aufnahme/Wiedergabe zu starten. Sobald Dante als Input benutzt wird, startet das Audioprogramm nicht. Die üblichen Checks habe ich gemacht. IDR: Firmware 1.91, Dante: Firmware 3.6.4 – Primary Port, Dante Controller Primary Port 0 Error, Matrix 32×32, PC: Gigabit LAN, WIN7 64Bit, Reaper V. 4,52, Dante Virtual Soundcard ASIO Input.
    Ich habe diese Probleme auch mit anderen Audio-Programmen (Nuendo etc.).

Machmal sieht man den Wald vor lauter Bäumen nicht….

Bernd

iDR-32, T-80, MixPad
    HP 25,5″ Touchscreen

Profile photo of timtrace
    timtrace
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by woutert…the only thing that you need to respect is that if you connected you PC to the iLive controller (R72,T80, T112 etc) network port, that this port is limited to only 10Mb/s

Hey, wouter — are the network ports on the iDR itself also limited to a 10Mb/s signaling rate?

I could plug in my notebook computer and check but my iDR is buried in the nose of my trailer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Archived iLive Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.