10 mono outs mix

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions 10 mono outs mix

This topic contains 28 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 7 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tomos
    tomos
    Participant

I think that would be better have 10 mono out mix than 4 mono and 3 stereo, if you need stereo out you can link 2 mono.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Implementation by pressing 9/10 once for 9 and twice for 10 would be possible – however the required effort on the part of the CPUs might not be.

I have an idea that an external box could “fake” this with appropriate panning of inputs to the mix, but their final levels would be tied.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

What sort of external box are you thinking of?
    I made a couple of external boxes I have used after the outputs of QU

so i’m interested to know your thinking on this?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’m thinking something that connects over ethernet and manipulates fader levels and pan too modify the output to each of the L&R of a given pair.

In theory this should be possible, although the output level would obviously be combined. I suppose a lower level could be emulated by lowering all the inputs to one side, but that strikes me as overkill at the moment, I envisage it being used for mono IEM, so the bodypack volume control being sufficient.

Of course what I’d really like to have seen is switchable headphone amp circuits in the mixer – but that’s additional cost for very little user benefit…

Profile photo of tomos
    tomos
    Participant

There is a lot of space for 3 more soft buttons for aux. I think that CPU can hold 3 more aux lines or maybe there is a problem in DSP? More auxes are useful for QU24 and QU32.

Profile photo of Onemoarcherry
    Onemoarcherry
    Participant

Mono mode for stereo aux is enough IMO.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I use the three stereo mixes as mono mixes (well, actually one of the musicians uses stereo IEM) at most of my gigs, but can see a benefit to having them split out – surely 2* mono isn’t much more DSP than 1* stereo…?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Bob, what you are decribing nearly sounds like the ME1
    Runs over cat5/6.
    Has access to EVERY in/put digitally, is a small mixer. (confusing at first!)
    I have just spent a week learning these things.
    Ive been told they will run up to 100 metres over cat.
    So if you have an AR2412 on stage effectively you can get a return back to FOH for adding extra things you might want to do : like add a specif type of out-baord efx like an analogue octaver or something space cadet like that (so you don’t have to use your XLR outs).
    I use both the stereo outs 9/10 to drive subs both out of one port or stereo out.
    They are balanced out (+18db) but only referenced to 0db and not +4db.
    Of course the matrix has XLR outs but that is only acessed from groups, mixs and L&R. You cant get into the Matrix from a channel.

so before I rave too much

Future suggestions for me would be Groups as “seperatemix outs with motorised faders not related to the top layer.
    And the same with Matrix outs.

However even suggesting such a thing will get up some forum users noses. as “The mixer is built to a certain price point level and it is what it is.”
    Of course it is!
    The QU32 is just in its infancy!

Any how
    Offense can only be taken

Pouring with rain here.
    Good day to study the ME1s’ again.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sorry Bob
    I re-read your last post
    were you asking about if a stereo mix could be split to 2 mono mix outs?

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Technically it could (although certain things (like eq) might have to remain linked) since pan and level control are all that is required.

The ME-1 is a great looking product, and if I needed more than 10 mixes I might look at it, as my current (common) requirement is for 7 I’m not actually affected, but I can see that the ability to run a couple of extra mono outputs (for a loop amp, a foyer feed etc) would be useful. I certainly can’t justify the cost of the ME-1 for most musicians, the Qu-You has all the functionality we need for those on in ears, as well as allowing me to control the mix from wither the console or the Qu-Pad – which the ME-1 doesn’t allow.

When I need monitor mixes I’ll have to look at them, but 8/9/10 would be served by a “panning” split of the existing stereo outputs.

Given that the DSP exists to GEQ both sides, to apply PEQ to both sides I suspect that even those features could be split (providing two full mono outputs), although that would be secondary.
    Press 5/6 once and the blue light comes on – editing 5 – press it again and it flashes editing 6, again and it jumps back to L&R.

There are more important things, but I suspect the DSP and hardware is all in place, it’s a UI change in the main part (possibly sacrificing some of the features, or having them force linked).
    The same change to UI/configuration could also permit 1&2, 3&4 to be linked as a stereo pair, making it easier to manage 5 stereo output mixes when needed.

Profile photo of BLKGHOST
    BLKGHOST
    Participant

I just don`t think it’s possible to split the stereo mixes. The mix outputs seem to be fixed (not patchable) and looking at the block diagram, mono and stereo mixes have 2 different paths. So the processing would be the same for both channels which is pointless since you can just use panning to get the exact same result. The only outputs that are patchables are the AES and Alt out. That means that you can’t change what will come out of the stereo mixes out. Stereo outs will only put out a stereo signal. Yes many of the features are software based but there are some liitations because of the hardware design as well. We need to keep in mind that’s it’s not a 10K dollars board.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi.
    I think Bob was referring to future updates as a possibility
    IF you look closely at the block diagram it looks (to-me) feasible.
    Anyhow after quite some research and thinking… if the price of the ME1 was a little easier the ME1 can easily be used as a remote controller for another room as another send. Its a full digital split!
    You could set volumes to 0db on it and control the mix the same as the FOH from the QU is you set the Global sends after fader. From memory there is a “follow” fader tick in a box in the QU.
    The ME1 is designed for headphones and in ear monitoring however the sound quality is very round full sound plugged into a powered speaker.
    Metering is slow like Analoge VU and it dose have a limiter.

There is a post on here somewhere where a Blues band were touring using 4xME1 by the monitor engineer
    I have looked everywhere but can not find that post now.

Anyhow
    Just some thoughts.
    Every once in a while a product comes along and is like a breath of fresh air and I feel the QU32 is just that.

dave NZ

BLKGHOST
    Participant

Would be possible if they used dual-mono DAC of the stereo mixes. But the price of the board wouldn’t be the same.

BLKGHOST
    Participant

From my POV, it would only be possible if they used dual-mono DAC for stereo mixes.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

I’m not sure the block diagram necessarily shows particular differences – it’s not high on my list (since I don’t need more than 7 mixes at the moment), but even if the processing had to be equivalent then I still think there is merit in the board handling the panning itself (i.e. allowing me to mix them as two separate mixes on the faders and/or two Qu-You apps).

I can also see the inverse cases, where the ability to link two mixes (cf+ linking two channels) could be useful.

I don’t think this is a likely feature for 1.7, but I suspect it could be made to work very well – even given some limitations in processing between the higher mix outputs, the ability to adjust Mix5 without also affecting Mix6 is just case of adjusting level and pan, but that’s not necessarily an intuitive combination of adjustments to get just right – the board could take that guesswork away (as could something abusing the Qu-You protocol)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.